Some tips to consider after you’ve made a purchase:
- We recommend having your everyday pieces professionally cleaned every 3 months, and having the gems in your everyday pieces checked every 6 months.
- Avoid bathing, applying hand lotion and washing your hands or dishes while wearing jewelry — lotion and soap can become trapped under settings, dulling the sparkle of your gems and even irritating the skin.
- Following the same reasoning, it’s a good idea to take off all rings when cooking.
- It’s also a great idea to take off jewelry when doing anything high-impact with your hands – gardening, for example!
- Use a toothbrush and warm, mildly soapy water to clean at home between professional cleanings (over a bowl, not the sink!)
- A polishing cloth will de-tarnish silver and enhance the shine of polished gold and platinum. Re-oxidizing of blackened silver can be done in our workshop.
- White gold has a natural pale yellow hue, so it’s often plated with rhodium to enhance its brightness – we can replate your white gold piece with rhodium if your piece is starting to look warm in color (indicating that the plating is wearing off).
- Avoid sleeping while wearing your jewelry. Necklaces especially can break with the tossing and turning of a night’s sleep.
- Avoid swimming while wearing your jewelry, especially in the ocean (salt is not gentle on jewelry!) and in swimming pools and hot tubs (chemicals aren’t gentle on jewelry either!).